Friday, October 14, 2016

Phuket, 14th October 2016

solo traveling is not what I expected. Instead of aimlessly roaming the streets of Phuket and crying myself to sleep at night I chose to grab the bull by its horns and do as much as I can in the three days I have in Phuket. Surprisingly, I have had a pretty great time on my own!

The flight over was long but comfortable with Thai Airways now ranking as my favourite airline of all time. The in flight entertainment was entertaining and the food was edible. Best of all, it got me to where I wanted to go! And on time! 

Juicing my phone up on a delicious 12G internet package, I set out to explore the old town of Phuket. A bit taken aback by the chaos on the streets, worn out buildings and electrical wiring definitely conducted by a cross-eyed technician, the city still holds a certain unspoilt charm to it. Entirely walkable both day and night the city holds and array of small shops and eateries decorated with some of the newer and more westernized cafes, bars and bistros. Tourism in Phuket amasses to a few families, couples and backpackers all of whom (myself included) feel comfortable walking the streets both day and night in search of soul kitchens with comfy chairs.

The best part of it, is that one can eat a delicious local meal for no more than £4 #winning! Let the fat diaries begin! 

Day 2 involved a day trip by speedboat to Phi Phi island (yes yes we are all grown ups here), Khai island and Rayan Island. The day took two interesting turns before we even left the marina. First, I was the only English speaking person among a group of 25 Thais and second, it rained and rained and rained. Good thing we were intending on getting wet anyway. 

Despite the masses of other boats and tourists that wanted to join in on our little seascape, the beauty of the Thai islands is jaw dropping and truly unique. All one has to do is put a mask on and look at their feet in the water to find an entire shoal of extravagantly colored fish staring up at you expectantly. Then when you look up you are surrounded by King Kong like cliffs. I found solace in a lovely newlywed couple from Laos, who despite having flown out for their firsts trip since being married were kind enough to help translate the guides jokes for me and kept me company. If they are reading this, I wish them all the very best for their new lives together. 

In the evening I found company in the 'Prohibition Bar' in central Phuket run by a very friendly and welcoming Auzzie expat called Steve and his wife. Apart from being one of the only places open after 9pm it also had the most welcoming decoration. Deciding that I wanted I sit outside I approached when the waiter who waved at me saying that it wasn't appropriate at this time. Thus, I was ushered through the bar, past the stairs and through a hidden book shelf into a back room. Super cool if you as me. There I made friends with Steve and Michel from Canada and we drunk our way through the night sharing life stories and painting hand prints on his bar. Brilliant. Definitely a must for anyone passing through Phuket. 

As I write this, I am sat on Patong beach which in my humble opinion is a perfect example of how the tourist industry is ruining Thailand. Enough said really...

Tomorrow I meet the volunteering team and venture inland for a completely different experience. 

Things I have learnt so far:

1. A smile gets you a long way with the locals
2. Mild hot actually means eye bleeding, ear burning, sweat invoking heat
3. It does not rain in Thailand. The heavens open and expel the rain that they have been holding for the past year all at once. Every day. For at least 2 hours.

Now I just have to find a way to stop staring at the horrifically burnt plump tourist sunbathing in a speedo in front of me.






No comments:

Post a Comment